Saturday 15 February 2020

Diversions...

Last weekend saw 3 months' worth of rain fall across the east coast in the space of just over 3 days. I thought our house was doing ok until my Sunday afternoon modelling time came around and I walked into the train room...

Perhaps it's psychological conditioning from the last place we lived in, which leaked at the slightest hint of rain, or perhaps it's time to stop watching Das Boot, but seeing the train room flooded induced neck-chilling fear.

After some investigation I found the gouged channel in the concrete at the corner of the room had been doing it's job collecting seepage through the walls from the earth on the other side, however the pipe leading outside to the garden was blocked. I managed to unblock it with all manner of fancy tools and the water drained away fairly quickly after that.



All-in-all I was lucky that I found it when I had - I'd left the floor covered in newspaper from when I was painting, and there had been a light layer of sawdust on top of that. Combined, they had soaked or slowed the progression of the water into the house.

When I walked into the room the water was on it's way to my Auscision rollingstock storage boxes, so thankfully they and their contents were spared. Hearing everyone else's experiences on Monday at work made me feel better that it wasn't just solely raining in my basement, but I did spend the rest of the week cleaning up the mess and moving the modules, wagons and locos back into place.

It's been a bit of a setback, and the damp weather has meant that I can't yet finish painting the pelmets and fascias and I had hoped to. Ah well, a minor diversion, but planning continues.


Still on track to have all of the modules joined up by the end of the month, and should have track down everywhere in time for picking up another servo motor and bracket at the Forestville exhibition in March. 

Cheers,
Ben


1 comment:

  1. Ben,
    Good to hear that no serious damage was done. I'm sure you'll probably pay close attention to the cleanliness of the drain every time it rains in the future. Time to consider enlarging the drain before any further layout construction?
    cheers Phil

    ReplyDelete