Friday 24 September 2021

Layout update

Finally - some actual modelling. But first, some more plonking.

Like most modellers, I was really impressed with the new IDR models BBWs. Ian has done a fantastic job bringing them together and they'll look great with a new SJM BBP when I can get my hands on one - they sold out within an hour of being listed on the website! Thankfully I'm on a waiting list with SJM for one, so I'm looking forward to being able to add a ballast train to operations every so often.

As I've been alluding to for about a year or so, I don't get much time to build kits or do decalling or any other jobs where you just need to be able to sit at the workbench until it's done at the moment. So to get some of those models that I really want to see running but which are stuck in the kit box completed, I've commissioned some other modellers. Josh Beveridge has built and painted these two InFront Models ICXs for me, which I've topped with some models I've actually built and weathered! Josh has done a fantastic job on both. He also assembled and painted an OSF for me which is running around with a refridgerated RACE container as well.


A good 15-minute project I learned from Aaron Denning a few years ago is to paint the bogies of SDS models' BP hoppers with Tamiya TS-43 Racing Green. It's a great, quick job now that the weather is warming up and looks a lot more realistic than the fluro-green on the as-new models. 

My grandfather, who got me into trains as a toddler, was a fitter for BP for most of his working life and finished up working on their rail tank wagons (among other things) at the former Auburn depot, so these wagons hold a special place for me. It's nice to make them that little bit more accurate.


I've also tackled the conveyor belt to finish off the coal loading tower. It's kitbashed from a Walthers conveyor belt kit and goes together very easily, as with all of the cornerstone stuff. This was one of those jobs that I needed a good few hours to just do until finished.

The conveyor belt is attached on legs which I've sunk into the plaster/foam rock to help integrate it into the scenery. It comes apart from the coal loader easily for when we inevitably move in a few years.


Earlier this year I was looking at the signals Ray Pilgrim has been producing through his SignalsBranch page and decided I needed one after seeing the linear micro servos he's incorporated into them. Many months later the completed signal with servos has arrived and will shortly be fixed to the layout and wired up. The arms are at odd angle because I'm waiting on the servo control buttons and motherboard to arrive from the US. 

As an aside, Tam Valley Depot, whose products I've been using to get reliable DCC operation through the frogs and operate the turnouts, are significantly downsizing and only producing frog juicers and dcc boosters from now on apparently. This is due to the main proprietor having an incurable disease and retiring to build his layout before the inevitable. Can't say I blame him either. I was lucky to be able to get the last few bits I need to install and operate the signal from Streamlined Backshop in the US before it sells out globally. Damned if I know what I'm going to do for turnout control on future layouts, but I'm sure there will be some new innovation or another manufacturer will step into the void. 

I've also weathered the coal loader. The little details are all coming together to make a really enjoyable scene to operate through.

The next priority is finishing off the point rodding and any other small jobs that will be "under the wires" before I can install the catenary.

Cheerio for now,

Ben







 

2 comments: