Saturday 18 September 2021

Rozelle Street is famous!

Just a short post today - in case you missed it, Rozelle Street is the featured layout in the October 2021 issue of the AMRM!


It's one thing to have one's articles published in print, but another thing entirely to get your layout published in what has been an institution of Australian railway modelling for more than 50 years. I hear a lot of people deride magazines and even lament that the AMRM has lost it's lustre, and I don't agree with those views. Despite the adoption of more 'instant' media in the hobby such as social media, YouTube channels and podcasts, I feel like magazines like AMRM still have a place in teaching us new things either through dedicated 'how to' articles or through appreciating other people's work. For me, a magazine's strength is in areas where a modeller can pause and observe. The detail that modellers put into the layouts featured in the mag, or in the featured models displayed in the 'Gallery' pages, are truly worth taking the time to look over several times to fully appreciate. 

I don't envy the task that Scott and the team have in balancing the interests of the state and private systems, era's, and scales that comprise the modelling community in Australia. I think some of the magazine's detractors forget that at times. Overall, I think the AMRM do quite a good job in balancing interesting content with each system, era, or scale. To my eyes the quality of the publication has noticeably improved in the last year or so, especially in achieving a balance between articles about the prototype, to weathering, or scenery, or electronics. [Full disclosure - I've been humbled to have a bunch of stuff published in the last 12 months, but I'm not referring to that here.] 

Anyway, that's my thoughts. Now to get that copy of the front cover framed and into the pool room. 

I have made a fair bit of progress on the layout since the last post and I'll aim to get that up in the next few weeks.

Cheers,
Ben

 


8 comments:

  1. Well done Ben. Small layouts are more achievable than large layouts for lots of reasons, and it is good that AMRM covers both sizes. I have almost a full set of printed AMRMs, and whilst I agree with you on the balance of modelling/prototype/electronics/etc articles, an area where they re now lacking, compared to the past, is the review section.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob. I'm an absolute convert to small layouts. For me, the next challenge is trying 'The One Module Approach' by Model Railroad Hobbyist so that after three or four house moves I'll have a complete branch line to operate!
      I agree with you on the reviews section. In terms of volume of reviews, I think it comes down to someone taking the time to comprehensively review something, including the prototype history. From personal experience I know the latter can be daunting as there's always someone out there for whom that loco/wagon/dilapidated unloading ramp at Oberon is their special topic and will write in with their well-intentioned-but-angrily-delivered opinion. I'd be ok with that, but another person might be put off by it. As for quality, I think the review section has made a recovery from the fallout of the honest Trainorama 32 class review many years ago, and I like the balance they've struck now between having an honest appraisal of things that work and things that don't, and how well/poorly the model represent the prototype.
      Appreciate you taking the time to comment. Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Well done Ben on getting your Rozelle Layout published in the AMRM. It is a fantastic article and it is good to see that Micro Type layouts are getting more recognised by AMRM.

    Again, well done.

    Kind Regards
    Peter Beyer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! I'm looking forward to seeing your layouts at the next exhibition when circumstances permit in future too. Cheers!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Ben, great article and a good example of what can be achieved in a small space.

    cheers Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, appreciate the kind words :) Cheers!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the magazine cover Ben. I agree with your thoughts exactly, and having your layout appear on a cover is always more prestigious than simply getting likes on the internet. It's a modeller's version of getting a Grammy nomination! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil! Everything I put up on the blog here is more for me to document how I did stuff and to remind myself that I am making progress, however slowly! Seeing one's words in print is certainly a different kind of rewarding :)

      Delete